Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bon-bons and soap operas (2007)


Wouldn't it be nice if you could have just one day with bon-bons and soap operas?  I am sure there was a time that I too believed that was the work of a stay at home mom.  I know there are believers, as I am sure there are some moms that may fit the bill.  I, on the other hand, cannot imagine that life.

In preparing for my husband’s office party, I decided to get the house cleaned by a professional.  I figured it may lighten my load a bit and more importantly, it may give me the opportunity to relax a bit.  Five and a half hours and a wad of cash later, the first floor and the stairs of my home were clean.  In reality, it didn't really lighten the load much and I only relaxed for a couple of minutes.  All the same, I was looking at a cleaner house than it would have been otherwise.

I'll admit, I felt slightly insecure about my lack of housekeeping skills, but that didn't put a damper on my wonderful mood.  My living area was completely clean.  I really couldn't imagine feeling anything but joy.  In exactly one hour, I had plans to go shopping with a friend for something to wear to the party.  What could top a day with my girls and some time to myself? 

Moments later, as I was watching my girls jumping on the couch cushions they had spewed throughout the living room, I couldn't help but wish there was some possible way for Calgon to take me away.   Why did I feel compelled to order the fam a pizza online?  Why did I leave my five-year old, Violet, and three year old, Lily, alone in my living room singing Hannah Montana at the top of their lungs?  A little more supervision would have prevented the destruction of my bliss.

I wouldn't trade my life for anything.  In a recent Parenting magazine, over 50% of those polled didn't see a problem with hiring a full time nanny or sending your child to day care if you are a stay at home mom.   Getting help with housework, I can relate to.  Getting a babysitter for a couple hours a week, I can absolutely understand.  But after one day bon-bons and soap operas, I would be anxious to go back to my life of feather boas and Polly Pockets.  I would be more than ready after that one glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment